MILWAUKEE FILM FESTIVAL
Milwaukee Film is hiring a programmer to support film programming for the Milwaukee Film Festival. The role requires familiarity with contemporary independent and world cinema as well as strong knowledge of the films which will appeal to festival-goers in and around Milwaukee. We are seeking a programmer with some expertise in one or more of the following sub-categories of our programming: children’s films, international fiction films, documentary films (generally and/or with a focus on music, food/drink, sports, or art, and independent US fiction dramas and comedies. This is a part time, hourly, year-round role with variable hours that reports to the Milwaukee Film Festival Director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- View titles in consideration for programming, providing written ratings and comments on films screened
- Travel on behalf of Milwaukee Film to view films and network with filmmakers and other industry members, when assigned
- Assist in hosting screening committee meetings when schedule permits
- Attend Festival Programming Leadership Committee meetings (monthly Nov-Feb; weekly Mar-Jul and Sep-Oct; bi-weekly Jul-Aug) in person or virtually, taking an active role in overall festival curation
- Present films to audiences at the festival, facilitate Q&As with guests, and handle media appearances associated with the program, as requested by Milwaukee Film’s press team
- Support development team in seeking financial or in-kind support for the festival, if requested
- Support marketing efforts for films (providing pitch notes, writing and reviewing program copy and images, etc.)
- Complete post-festival wrap report
- Self-starter with ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Proven organizational and project management skills with obsessive attention to detail
- Superb verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of contemporary and historical landscape of independent cinema
- Understanding of Milwaukee and its audiences
- Experience with Google Apps, Microsoft Office
- Enthusiasm for our Festival and dedication to excellent customer service
HOURS, SALARY, AND BENEFITS
This is a year-round, part-time, hourly position paid at a rate of $12 based on hours logged. A total of 325-375 hours will be expected annually, with the bulk of the work concentrated between May and October. With the exception of regular meetings, the majority of the Festival Programmer’s work will be done offsite and hours are flexible. During the Festival, this position is expected to be available for daytime and evening events throughout the Milwaukee area based on schedule and need and will require reliable transportation for that work. Festival Programmer will also receive a staff pass and a guest pass that guarantee entry to films and events at the Festival with some restrictions. No other benefits are offered.
Please send a resume and 1-2 page cover letter explaining in detail your qualifications for this role and the specifics of your film programming expertise per the sub-categories listed above to Human Resources (email@example.com) by 5 p.m. on February 28. Applicants can expect to be notified of application status no later than March 11. No phone inquiries please. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Prospective hire will be asked to complete a background check prior to finalizing contract.